Have you noticed that after swimming in the sea, your hair is somehow different? It gets a casual look and gorgeous messy waves. This messy appearance is due to the salt in the seawater. Salt opens the hair cuticle and plumps up the strands, giving your hair more texture and enhancing natural curls and waves.
The good news is that you don’t have to go to the sea every time you want this casual summer hairstyle. The hairsprays infused with sea salt can bring those beachy waves into your hair.
By using a sea salt spray you can get gorgeous beach-inspired hairstyles without having to visit the shore. The sea salt gives a subtle messy effect to your hair, making the summer endless and bringing the beach with you everywhere.
Related post: Four Sea Salt Hair Sprays for Beach Inspired Waves
Benefits of Using Salt Spray on Fine Hair
This product can also keep the hair from falling flat throughout the day. If you have limp hair, use several spritzes of a beach spray on dry hair near the roots.
To create more volume, apply the salt texturizing spray to damp hair before blow-drying. For maximum volume, flip your head upside-down, apply spray towards the base of your roots, and scrunch your hair while blow-drying it.
Suggested product: Beauty by Earth Sea Salt Spray for Hair. (made in the USA with organic & natural ingredients).
Benefits of Sea Salt for Oily Hair
If you have oily hair, seawater can help you go longer between washes. Sea salt helps to absorb excess sebum, reducing the frequency of hair washes. It makes your hair appear wet and attractive on days when you skip washing your hair. In addition to masking grease, it helps to keep your scalp flake-free.
Effects of Sea Salt on Straight Hair
If you don’t like your stick-straight hair, try to include a sea salt spray in your hair care regimen. This product will give you a beautiful back-from-the-beach style without using any tools.
Although a sea salt spray does not make straight hair wavy, it will add a nice grip and volume and combat flat, limp locks. It helps you get a kind of carefree wind-swept style and hold waves after curling.
To achieve the tousled look, spray your hair while it is wet, and scrunch it to get the de desired volume and texture. You can also try to braid your hair overnight.
If your hair is fine and straight, apply the spray while it is still wet to improve the texture and get more volume. Or spray the product into your hands, squeeze your freshly washed hair, and allow it dry naturally.
Benefits of Sea Salt for Curly and Wavy Hair
It is easy to get lovely beach waves if you have naturally wavy hair. Use a few spritzes of a salt spray on your damp hair, then scrunch it with your fingers to style.
Sea salt can be used on curly hair to enhance its natural texture and get soft beach waves. You can get smooth waves and a lasting hold without using hot tools. All you have to do is to apply the product to the hair, comb it through with a wide-toothed comb, tousle the hair with your hands, and let your locks air dry.
To get beautiful loose waves, French-braid your with the spray in before going to bed. Finger comb your hair after taking the braid out. To get smooth waves, pull your hair into a tight bun and let it dry naturally.
Salt can make curly hair feel drier than usual. You should condition your hair regularly and use quality hair oil. Make sure to choose a sea salt spray that contains moisturizing hair oils in its formula.
Can Sea Salt Harm Your Hair?
Sea salt can be beneficial for the scalp and hair, but excessive use of salt sprays may have some unwanted side effects.
- Dryness: This is a common side effect of salt hair sprays especially if you use too much of the product. The salt can draw out moisture from your hair, leaving it dry and brittle. Salt sprays should not be used daily, especially if your hair is on the dry side. To combat the drying effect of salt, you should do deep conditioning and use hair serums or moisturizing hair oils.
- Protein damage: Salt can also strip protein from the hair, making your hair weaker and more prone to breakage. If you have received keratin treatment recently, using these sprays can reduce the longevity of your treatment.
- Sticky-feeling hair: Using a generous amount of salt spray can leave your hair feeling sticky and crunchy. You may feel the urge to wash it as soon as possible.
Tips for Using a Sea Salt Spray
- For the best results, apply a salt spray to damp hair. Apply a few spritzes to your hair and run your hands through it. You can either let your hair dry naturally or use a blow dryer for a quicker result and more volume.
- You can also spray the product into the palms of your hands and then finger comb or scrunch hair to create waves and body.
- To get a voluminous blowout, apply the spray to damp hair and comb through while using a blow dryer in a downward motion.
- When using salt hairspray on dry hair, work the product through your hair to get a wind-swept look. For the best results, apply the product to the middle of your hair down to the ends.
- If you have long hair and want to achieve that carefree beachy look, spray it onto towel-dried hair and then twist the sections of your hair.
- If you have short hair, massage the spray into your towel-dried hair. Style with your fingers to create a textured, ruffled look.
Disclaimer: All content on this blog is created for informational purposes only. It would be best if you didn’t use it as a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.