Last Updated on December 28, 2022 by Gaga
The Main Differences between Hair Smoothing and Straightening
Unlike traditional keratin straightening treatments, most hair smoothing treatments are free of formaldehyde and other harmful chemicals. These frizz-fighting treatments use amino acids, collagen, hair oils, botanical extracts, and heat to repair and smooth out your hair.
After some research found that Brazilian Blowout smoothing products contain very high levels of formaldehyde, many people started looking for a safer alternative to get shiny and frizz-free hair. A variety of chemical-free smoothing products have appeared on the market over the past few years.
Although the application process is similar to keratin straightening, a smoothing treatment will not give you pin-straight hair. However, this hair treatment will eliminate frizz and make your hair straighter, shinier, and easier to style. The results will last approximately two to three months.
In-salon smoothing treatments can be an expensive option for people who struggle with frizzy hair. While some smoothing treatments are meant for professional use, there are still many mild and affordable products that you can use in the comfort of your home.
At-Home Hair Smoothing Treatments
The following smoothing treatments are user-friendly, effective, and cost a fraction of the money you would spend in a salon.
This post contains links to Amazon. The publisher may get paid if You purchase something through the links without additional costs to You.
The Fashion Stylist Cream is formulated with a blend of 22 essential amino acids, coconut oil, quinoa protein, and conditioning agents that can straighten hair and reverse hair aging. Oils rich in omega-3, -6, and -9 help restore the protective lipid layer lost due to coloring and heat styling. The product is ready to apply straight from the bottle, and the application process is easy, fast, and doesn’t produce irritating fumes.
- Seals the cuticle for a long-lasting shine
- Neutralizes the yellow/orange tones in blonde hair
- Combats dryness, breakage, and porosity
- Fills gaps in porous and damaged strands, restoring elasticity and reducing breakage
- Protect hair from future damage with powerful antioxidants
- Makes hair stronger, healthier, and more manageable
- Shampoo your hair, rinse, and towel dry. Blow-dry hair until it is about 70 percent dry.
- Section your hair and apply Fashion Stylist Cream, starting from the back of your head.
- Put on the plastic cap and leave the product in your hair for 60 minutes. For fine or bleached hair, it is recommended to leave the product on the hair for about 25 minutes.
- Rinse out the product with plenty of water.
- Blow-dry your hair while using a round brush.
- Flat-iron small sections of hair, doing at least 10 passes over each section.
Lisse Design Smoothing Treatment promises straight, velvety, and easy-to-style hair for up to three months, without using potentially hazardous chemicals. The smoothing formula is free of formaldehyde and complies with EU cosmetics regulations.
Lisse Design Keratin Therapy combines keratin, collagen, and essential oils to strengthen hair, calm frizz, and add a wonderful shine. With heat, this treatment rearranges disulfide bonds and temporarily makes your hair straighter. Plus, your hair will still hold a curl if you want it to.
This treatment works best on curly, frizzy, or chemically treated hair, repairing damage from the inside to make hair smooth, frizz-free, and easy to style.
- Removes 95% of frizz
- Penetrates the hair to revitalize it from inside
- Transforms dry, tangled hair into silky, shiny, and manageable locks
- Reduces blow-drying and styling time by 60%
This treatment process involves the following steps:
- Shampoo hair with Lisse Design Deep Cleansing Shampoo to remove any product build-up and open cuticles. This makes the hair ready to absorb the treatment.
- Blow-dry hair and divide it into four parts.
- Apply the Smoothing Fluid to 1-inch sections of hair with an applicator brush, avoiding the scalp. Comb the hair from roots to ends to evenly distribute the product. Let the product sit in your hair for 20 minutes.
- If your hair is very damaged, apply the Lisse Design Detangling Cream to the ends to make brushing easier.
- Blow-dry and brush your hair with a paddle brush, without rinsing the product off. For curly and frizzy hair, use a round brush to help achieve a straight effect.
- Use a straightening iron 6-8 times over half-inch sections of hair to activate the product and seal it into the hair. For damaged hair, keep the iron temperature below 356°
- Rinse hair thoroughly to remove all traces of smoothing the product.
- Apply the Lisse Design Rehydrating Mask to towel-dried hair and leave it on for 5 minutes to hydrate hair and make it soft, shiny, and easy to comb.
- Rinse the musk from the hair, and then blow-dry and style it.
Silver Smoothing Fluid is an alternative smoothing product designed for cool blonde and natural white hair to prevent yellow tones that may be caused by the use of high-temperature flat irons.
For those who may not have the time to perform a standard Lisse Design Smoothing Treatment, the Lisse Design Express Smoothing Treatment is also available for a shortened application procedure.
3. Hair Straightener Spray by Braliz
Braliz produces an innovative hair straightening product in a spray bottle that helps repair and seal hair cuticles, making hair straighter, silkier, and shinier. This smoothening treatment features an easy, user-friendly application process.
Braliz’s smoothing formula contains bioactive ingredients extracted from antioxidant-rich botanicals. It is free of formaldehyde and other harmful chemicals.
- Shampoo and blow-dry your hair. Don’t use conditioner!
- Divide your hair into 3-5 parts for easier manipulation.
- Put on gloves and apply the spray to small sections of hair, starting from the back of your head. Use a comb to distribute the product evenly.
- Leave the product in your hair for 40 minutes. For thick hair, leave the treatment on for 60 minutes.
- Rinse the product with water.
- Blow-dry your hair until it is completely dry.
- Use a flat iron over small sections of hair to activate the product and achieve a straight effect. Do 8-10 passes over each section.
It is important to customize heat settings according to the type and condition of your hair. For medium to thick hair, set the flatiron temperature between 392°F and 446°F. For fine to medium hair and/or chemically treated hair, set the temperature between 356°F and 392°F.
More brands to consider: Vip Argan Oil Keratin Treatment, Agi Control K1 Perola Blowout Anti Frizz Natural Treatment by Agilise Professional, Progressive Brush Straightening System by Street Hair, and Gold Keratin Protein Deep Maintenance Treatment by KERATIN USA HAIR STRAIGHTENING PRODUCTS.
Gaga is a blogger and founder of the Softer Hair website. She often says that insomnia is to blame for her first blogging attempts. Being the night owl, she hated the morning alarm. She left her office job and returned to what she loved most - writing.