What are Keratin Bond Hair Extensions?
If you’re looking for a way to fill in your thin spots or add extra length to your locks, keratin bond hair extensions might be the best option to instantly add new life to your hair. You don’t have to wait forever for your short, thin hair to grow longer or achieve a fabulous voluminous look. These hair extensions can instantly make a big difference in how you feel about your hair.
Keratin extensions—also known as U-tips, nail tips, or keratin fusion extensions —are one of the most common permanent extensions. Keratin bond hair extensions consist of tiny strands of real hair that are pre-bonded with keratin-based adhesive.
The process should be performed by an experienced stylist and can take several hours. The U-shaped dried keratin glue on the tip to make installation easy and secure. A low heat extension iron is used to melt the keratin glue and attach the extension to your natural hair.
Keratin-bonded extensions are so comfortable that you don’t even feel them. The attachments are placed close to the roots to stay invisible and blend with your natural hair nicely. You can feel enthusiastic about your gorgeous hair without anyone knowing you are wearing hair extensions.
Keratin tip extensions are exceptionally versatile because you can straighten or curl them as you would with your own hair. They can be styled the way you want, be worn up or down, and even be colored if you wish.
Who Are the Best Candidates for U-Tips Hair Extensions?
The best candidates for keratin hair extensions are individuals with short, thin, or damaged/over-processed hair.
These extensions are perfect for masking a bad hair cut or for adding highlights.
People who experience accelerated hair loss should not install hair extensions.
Advantages of Keratin Tip Hair Extensions
- Bonding extensions can give you a more natural look than other installation methods. The placement of the bond mimics the hair’s natural layered texture, allowing free movement and giving the hair a more natural feel.
- Keratin glue is not harsh on your hair and scalp. When the installation is performed properly, extensions can be attached and removed with minimal damage to your natural hair and scalp.
- Another benefit of U-tip extensions is that the bonds are small enough to be completely hidden under the hair. The extensions look like your real hair, so it’s difficult for other people to notice you have extensions at all.
- U-tip hair extensions are lightweight and comfortable, so they don’t put a strain on your natural hair. They add body to fine hair and can be used to increase the density of thinning hair, resulting in a flawless look.
- Keratin bonds create a durable installation, so the extensions can last longer than other types of hair extensions. They can last anywhere between 2 and 6 months, depending on how you care for them.
- You can straighten, curl, style, and dye your extensions just as you would your natural hair.
The installation process is performed by a professional stylist and can take up to 2 hours or more.
1. Your natural hair is washed with a clarifying shampoo to ensure that keratin bonds have a firm grip on the hair.
2. Your hair is then sectioned, and the stylist will start the process from the bottom section of your hair, then moving up.
3. Pre-bonded individual extensions are placed underneath a matching size of your hair about 1/2 inch from the root.
4. A hair extension tool is then used to heat the keratin bonding glue until it is melted, attaching the extensions to your own hair.
5. Once the keratin glue has been melted, stylist rolls it between their fingers to shape the glue and form a secure attachment.
When applied by a professional stylist, keratin pre-bonded extensions can last 2–6 months if you treat them properly.
- Wait 48 hours before you wash your hair to allow bonds to seal completely.
- To prevent water damage to the bonds, don’t wash your hair too often.
- Use mild hair shampoos that are free of sulfates, silicones, and alcohol.
- Avoid using oil-based hair products, as oil can loosen the bonds.
- Brush your hair with a loop brush to remove tangles without damaging the bonds.
- Don’t apply heat to the bonds when you are using hot tools. High heat can cause the bonds to melt.
- Before bedtime, braid your hair loosely or wrap it in a ponytail to prevent tangling.
- To prevent damage to the bonds, don’t expose your hair to salt water or chlorinated pool water.
There are several ways to dissolve keratin glue and remove bonded hair extensions. Below are two relatively easy and safe ways to do it.
1. Using Bonding Glue Remover
The best and easiest way to remove hot fusion extensions is to use quality bonding glue remover. You can find it in hair salons and beauty supply stores, or you can purchase it online.
You need to soak hair with the product for the recommended time to soften the bonds. Add more remover and try to gently slide off an extension. If it does not slide easily, add more of the product, and try again after some time. Make sure not to pull your hair.
Once all your extensions are removed, add more product to lose and remove bonding chunks left behind in your hair. Finally, use a fine-toothed comb to remove any leftover residue from your hair. Shampoo two or three times as needed. There are shampoos specifically designed to remove keratin glue residue. Deep condition your hair after the removal process is completed.
2. Using Oil to Remove Glued Hair Extensions
Another method for getting the glue out of your hair is by applying oil. You can use almond, olive, coconut, or baby oil. Leave the oil in the hair for at least 15 minutes. Then gently remove the extensions and comb the loosened bonds out of your hair.
Some people use nail polish remover, which can help to break down the bonds. However, acetone should be used with caution because it can be harsh on your hair and scalp.
Disadvantages of Keratin Hair Extensions
- Like most other types of extensions, U-tip hair extensions pose some risk to your natural hair. Since the glued strands add weight to your real hair, they pull the hair and may cause increased hair loss and breakage.
- Pre-bonded hair extensions can’t be reused, which makes them more expensive compared to other types. Since their installation is time-consuming a professional service can be very costly.