Last Updated on July 19, 2021 by Gaga
If you are a fan of beauty routines and love your hair, you may have heard of using rice water to improve the health of your hair. This is not a new trend; in the Heian period, ladies used to rinse their hair with rice water to achieve beautiful floor-length hair. Using rice water can be one of the best ways to achieve strong, healthy, shiny, and soft hair without wasting too much money.
If you have yet to try rice water to rinse your hair, now is the opportune time. If you are stuck at home and have a little bit of time on your hands, this could be the new routine you have been waiting for. After some time of consistent use, you will start to notice differences in your hair that could not be achieved by any store-bought products.
Rice Water Benefits for Hair
People have been using this method to strengthen hair since the Heian period in Japan. This means since AD 794 to 1185, women have been rinsing their hair with rice water because of the fantastic benefits. Curious to learn more? Here are some of the advantages that might make you look at rice differently.
- Proteins and amino acids contained in race water can make hair thicker and denser.
- Inositol (Vitamin B8) in rice water strengthens hair strands and helps to increase the growth rate of new hair.
- Rice water reduces friction for easy detangling and increases hair smoothness and sheen.
- It repairs damage and decreases breakage and split ends
- Rice water helps soothe sensitive scalps and reduce flaking
Believe it or not, rice has some of the most essential nutrients you need to maintain your hair. If you are battling dry and itchy scalp causing dandruff, you can easily spritz some rice water throughout your hair, and after a few days, it will be gone. Or maybe you’re worried about weak hair, this solution will help grow thicker and denser hair while making it soft.
Rice is rich in vitamins B and C meaning it can help promote collagen production, which is essential in your hair structure. Vitamin B can be great for hair growth. Why? It helps create red blood cells responsible for carrying oxygen throughout your body and even to your scalp.
How to Make Rice Water?
Making rice water for hair doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, it should be straightforward. There are no additives necessary, and it doesn’t take weeks to make. Here are the steps you need to take in order to make rice water mist for your hair.
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 cup of water
1. Rinse out the rice to remove any dirt and impurities.
2. Mix the water and rice in one bowl. The water should become cloudy.
3. Strain the rice but keep the water instead of disposing of it.
4. Let the murky rice water sit for 12 to 24 hours at room temperature. Do not keep it sitting longer than 24 hours; it will go bad.
5. Refrigerate rice water until you plan on using it to prevent it from going bad.
6. Put it into a bottle that is easy to spritz in your hair.
How Often to Use Rice Water on Hair?
Rice water for hair is one of the most amazing things because it is all-natural, and you won’t have to change your hair care routine. Instead, just incorporate it into your regular hair routine. Rinsing your hair with rice water after shampooing will give you stronger and healthier hair. Make sure to leave it to sit in your hair for several minutes. You can do this treatment once or twice a week, as long as you are happy with the results. Spritz on a little mist after you shampoo and condition your hair.
Are there any Unwanted Effects?
Let’s be real; everyone has different hair and different skin. This is true for almost anything you try. There are outstanding results with rice water, and it can truly work for some people. However, there are some cases where people experienced unwanted side effects and the two most common are:
1. Protein buildup in the hair. Since rice is rich in proteins, overuse may result in protein overload. Your hair needs a. optimal balance between protein and moisture to remain healthy and manageable. Protein overload may lid dry and brittle hair.
2. Low porosity hair is protein sensitive and may become hardened and stiff if coated with proteins. The water and hair products are not able to penetrate the hair shaft and such hair is not responsive to hair treatments and coloring.
If you notice any unwanted side effects, you should stop using rice water and go a different route to get and maintain healthy hair.
Fermented Rice Water
Instead of one cup to one cup of rice, to make fermented rice water, you would use two cups of distilled water. You will let the rice and water sit for 30 minutes. This should give it enough time to sit and go ‘sour’ or start the fermenting process. This may sound gross, but fermented rice water is rich in healthy antioxidants that your hair will love.
If you don’t have time to do fermented rice water on your own, store-bought fermented rice water could be a more convenient way to get the same results. Store it in the refrigerator after opening, and it will last for months. If you mind a bad smell, chose fermented rice water that contains essential oils.
Hair Care Products Enriched with Rice Water
Okay, let’s be honest not all of us have rice or are willing to let it sit for 24 hours on our counter. We totally get it. Our beauty industry is impressive, and it is always changing. It has led us to some pretty great inventions, and you can actually buy hair products infused with rice water. This can be a little hack if you’re not feeling up to making a DIY version. Some of the products to check out include fermented rice water spray and rice water shampoo and conditioner.
Rice Water Shampoos
Shampoos infused with rice water are designed to repair damaged strands and force hair to regrow.
Suggested brands include Peter Lamas Rice Volumizing Shampoo (sulfate-free and 100% Vegan), SheaMoisture Purple Rice Water Strength and Color Care Shampoo, Fermented Rice Water Shampoo by Roya Herbal Organics, and Fermented Rice Water Shampoo by Nature’s Ego (natural ingredients).
Using rice water once a week can give your hair a boost in the health department. Your hair will feel silky, strong, and shiny if you stick with the routine. It takes at least one month of continuous use, to see noticeable effects.
This is one of the best ways to grow gorgeous hair. It is easy to add to your beauty routine without taking up too much of your time.