After spending tons of money and time to smooth and shine your locks, you want to ensure that such a sleek look and silky feel lasts as long as possible, right? Well, check the “5 Alive” Top Shampoo Brands for Keratin-Treated Hair. These “5 Alive” products will make your hair and self-esteem thrive!
Because your after-treatment products are your keratin-treated hair lifesavers, be picky to avoid most commercial shampoos that use harsh detergents and keratin-dissolving ingredients to avoid stripping your hair’s special treatment. Read on to discover easy tips to extend your keratin-treated hair with sexiness and flair!
Shampoos Without the Boos: Choosing Your Post-Keratin-Treatment Shampoo
While you don’t have to use shampoo and conditioner from the same line as your keratin treatment, you can flexible aim for shampoos with the books. Select keratin-friendly products, regardless of brand, to effectively meet all your aftercare needs. Cheers to that freedom of choice!
When purchasing your products, carefully read all labels carefully to ensure no harsh ingredients that will ruin your treatment.
Steps when choosing your aftercare shampoo are 3-fold:
1. Don’t Date Sulfates: Avoid Sodium Chloride and Sulfates. To maximize the longevity of your treatment, choose only shampoos free of harsh sulfate cleansers such as sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate. Shampoos with sulfates can remove straightening chemicals from your hair.
Sodium chloride is a thickening agent that dissolves keratin and can undo hair straightening results. Make sure to only use a shampoo that says “sayonara” to sodium chloride!
Be the best version of yourself, not a lab rat! Beware of hidden chemicals in your products. Because your hair has already undergone a chemical treatment, you don’t need additional chemicals to impose additional harm. Scan your brands to avoid parabens and formaldehyde—both dangerous chemicals—so beware!
2. Pucker Up With a KISS: Strive for KISS products, not the smooches or the rock bad, but KISS as in Keratin-Infused Shampoo Selections. Although you don’t necessarily need keratin-infused products exclusively, these products offer additional benefits to keratin-straightened hair. Hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed wheat protein, hydrolyzed silk, and amino acids tame frizz and boost softness and smoothness.
When your keratin treatment starts to wear off, the higher hair porosity will allow for easier penetration of keratin particles into the hair cortex, delivering a shield for your shine!
3. Be Savvy Against Deceptive Labels. Some brands of “keratin-replenishing shampoos” aren’t sodium-chloride- and sulfate-free. Some manufacturers falsely advertise that their products are suitable for use after a keratin treatment, even though they still contain sulfates. Be savvy to read between the lines to keep your hair gorgeous and fine!
Five Alive: Best Shampoos for Keratin Treated Hair
This post contains links to Amazon. The publisher may get paid if You purchase something through the links without additional costs to You.
If you don’t have time to read product labels, review the list of MVP shampoos for keratin-straightened hair. These winning shampoos are keratin friendly and formulated with gentle cleansers to minimize the negative effect of shampooing on your keratin-straightened locks. Grabs these MVPs with glee!
1. Casablanca Cool: Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner by LuxeOrganics
Grab a bit of Moroccan spice! This shampoo and conditioner are made with organic ingredients that nourish your hair, making it look healthier and shinier. This shampoo doesn’t lather like most sulfate-based shampoos, but it cleans hair effectively without over-drying it. Both the conditioner and shampoo have a sweet, citrus scent. Indulge in Casablanca cool without any bull!
These products will benefit all hair types, including colored and chemically straightened locks.
This set contains natural Moroccan argan oil, which is absorbed into your hair easily. In turn, it promotes a gorgeous shine and no frizz. It also contains UV absorbers designed to protect hair from harmful UVA and UVB rays and prevent color fading.
Light as a feather: Amino acids help repair hair damage and improve tensile strength, while vitamins and antioxidants nourish the hair, protecting it from styling damage. The rejuvenating Argan Oil Conditioner moisturizes, detangles, and adds volume, without creating buildup or weighing hair down. Let your hair be light as a feather! These products are formulated without sulfates and sodium chloride.
2. Milano Magic: Alfaparf Milano Keratin Therapy Lisse Design Maintenance Shampoo
Do you need some Milano magic in your life? Well, this gentle shampoo formula is developed to maintain the effects of Lisse Design Keratin Therapy Smoothing Treatment. It’s a beautifully scented shampoo that gently cleanses hair, without stripping keratin and natural oils. Bellissimo!
It’ll keep your keratin-treated hair smooth, strong, glossy, and tangle-free. Grab your expresso and glow!
Enriched with Keratin and Bagasse Oil, these perks keep your strands smooth, soft, shiny, and easy to comb through. This shampoo is sulfate- and salt-free.
3. Smooth Operator: AG Hair Smooth Sulfate-Free Argan & Coconut Shampoo
See the price at Walmart
This shampoo is formulated with natural ingredients to restore the strength and elasticity of colored and chemically straightened hair. Sulfate-free surfactants are gentle on delicate chemically processed locks and safe for colored and keratin-treated hair. The formula doesn’t use sodium chloride as a thickener.
Other ingredients that make this shampoo ideal for chemically processed hair are argan oil, chamomile, wild cherry bark extract, nettle, rosemary leaf, and sage leaf extracts.
This shampoo maintains the health of your scalp and leaves your hair smooth, touchable soft, and shiny. Let your true light shine!
About the product:
This is another combo formulated to enhance the results and extend the life of your keratin treatment.
The shampoo uses a mild surfactant to gently cleanse chemically treated hair, including colored and keratin-straightened hair.
The set contains hydrolyzed keratin, silk amino acids, and hydrolyzed silk protein to replenish lost keratin and rebuild the strength of chemically treated hair
Natural and botanical extracts nourish and hydrate the hair, leaving it soft, healthy, and shiny. This combo set is free of SLS and sodium chloride.
This shampoo and conditioner set is formulated to deliver moisture and keratin to your hair to keep it smooth and manageable. This duo can be used on all hair types but is especially suited for calming thick/curly/coarse hair. The shampoo gently cleanses your scalp and hair without stripping keratin or hair color.
The Anti-Frizz Shampoo It’s made with hydrolyzed vegetable protein to infuse your tresses with keratin and maintain optimal smoothness. It makes your hair softer, frizz-free, and shiny.
The Anti-Frizz Daily Conditioner is an ultra-moisturizing product formulated with keratin amino acids, mango seed butter, and hydrolyzed collagen to rehydrate dry hair and protect it from styling and environmental damage. When used regularly, it helps to seal hair cuticles, preserves hair color, and creates a healthy shine. This Anti-Frizz Shampoo and conditioner set is free of harsh sulfates and sodium chloride.
More brands to consider: Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo Sulfate Free for Normal Oily Curly Dry Damaged Color and Keratin Treated Hair by BELLISSO, COSMO9 KERATIN Shampoo + Conditioner, Keratin Care Moisturizing Shampoo by Keralove, Keratin Shampoo with ARGAN OIL by Gorgeous Beauty & Care, Shampoo & Conditioner Kit for Keratin Treated Hair by CARILDA BEAUTY, Lust Shampoo by Seven Sins Hair Care, Color Smoothing Shampoo by Keratin Perfect, Keratin Replenishing Shampoo by MAJESTIC KERATIN, Sulfate-Free Keratin-Infused SHAMPOO by ORGANICOLAB, Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo by Alin, and MarocVita Keratin Shampoo by Tion.
Say “Hi” to Dry: Using Dry Shampoos After Keratin Treatment
If you’ve had a keratin treatment or a Brazilian blowout, you still can use a dry shampoo to keep your hair looking fresh. Don’t be shy to say “hi” to sulfate-free dry shampoos. They come in powder form to help absorb oil without interfering with keratin treatments. Those dry powders will be your best friend during the 72-hour phase when you must avoid washing your hair.
Stylists believe that it’s absolutely safe to use dry shampoo to refresh your style without water when your hair gets greasy, but you should choose a product formulated to help preserve your results.
- Loma Dry Shampoo: Loma products are paraben-, gluten-, sulfate-, and sodium chloride-free, so you can be assured that this dry shampoo is good for your hair and scalp. It will not harm your keratin treatment in any way and will leave your hair looking fresh and smelling clean.
- Living proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo (Walmart) absorbs the grease and sweat and eliminates odors, leaving the hair feeling fresh and clean. Patented Healthy Hair Molecule (OFPMA) technology helps to easily brush out the powder leaving your hair really clean. A time-released fragrance delivers a light, refreshing scent throughout the day. This dry shampoo is safe for colored and chemically treated hair. It can help to extend the time between hair washing, which prolongs the life of your keratin treatment.
- Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal Biotin Dry Shampoo is designed to absorb excess oil, normalize oil production, and nourish your scalp. Unfortunately, this quality, naturally based, and cruelty-free shampoo powder comes in an inconvenient packaging that can make it hard to control the amount you want to apply.
Keratin Shampoos vs. Keratin-Safe Shampoos
Keratin-infused shampoos are designed to strengthen hair and provide smoothness and frizz control by repairing and filling in weak areas inside hair fibers.
That sounds great, but these shampoos are not necessarily free of salt and sulfates. Some brands contain SLS or claim to have a “lower sulfate formula.” Examples include Tresemme Keratin Smooth Infusing Shampoo and Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Smoothing Shampoo.
And then there are some sulfate-free formulas that still contain sodium chloride, such as Burgati Keratin & Argan Oil Professional Series Shampoo.
If you are skeptical about the ingredients of your post-keratin shampoo, consult a reliable hair professional or dermatologist to make sure that the product meets your needs.
Disclaimer: All content on this blog is created for informational purposes only. It would be best if you didn’t use it as a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Last Updated on August 23, 2022 by Gaga
Gaga is a blogger and founder of the Softer Hair website. She often says that insomnia is to blame for her first blogging attempts. Being the night owl, she hated the morning alarm. She left her office job and returned to what she loved most - writing.