Clay is a fine-grained earthy material rich in mineral content that has a wide variety of uses. Cosmetic clays have been used for centuries for multiple beauty regimes including skin and hair. The most common types of nourishing clays are kaolin, bentonite, and rhassoul clay.
Due to its cleansing and conditioning properties, clay is found as an ingredient in a variety of natural hair care products. Clay gently exfoliates and soothes the scalp, while helping to maintain the health and the beauty of your locks.
Clay Shampoo vs Clay Powder
Despite many benefits that come with using DIY clay to wash the hair, it is definitely a messy process and a hassle to apply and remove clay from the hair. Clay shampoo eliminates the need for measuring and mixing and offers a much easier way to cleanse and condition your hair while providing it with all the benefits of clay.
Clay Shampoo Benefits for the Scalp and Hair
1. Absorbs excess oil: Clays in hair shampoo act like detergents with the ability to attract and remove grease, sweat, and impurities. Clay helps minimize the appearance of greasy hair without being overly drying. It leaves your hair with a non-greasy feel that lasts.
Suggested brand: Rene Furterer Curbicia Purifying Clay Shampoo
2. Remedy for oily roots and dry ends: If you have oily while your ends are normally dry, over-washing can worsen the problem leading to increased sebum production, scalp irritation, and even drier ends. A clay shampoo may help to balance and eliminate excess oil from the roots, while hydrating dry ends.
Suggested brands: L’Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Clay Shampoo for oily roots and dry ends
3. Gives volume and natural bounce: In addition to removing grease from the scalp, clay in hair shampoos helps with adding texture and fullness. Clay changes hair consistency and gives more volume to oily, flat, and fine hair without weighing it down.
Brands: Amazon White Clay Advanced Blend Thickening Shampoo by Taya Beauty and Volume Shampoo Paste with Rassoul Clay and Rose Extracts by Christophe Robin.
4. Exfoliates and tones the scalp: Mineral salts in clay detoxify and purify the scalp and help relieve irritation, itching, and flaking. Clay absorbs the dirt and grime to keep the pores clean while providing the nutrients and minerals necessary to nourish and calm the skin.
Brands: L’OREAL ELVIVE EXTRAORDINARY CLAY ANTI-DANDRUFF SHAMPOO and amika Reset Exfoliating Jelly Shampoo
Clay Washes for Natural Hair
Curly hair is very prone to dryness which can get worse if it is washed with ordinary shampoos. Clay-based shampoos have fantastic conditioning properties like having a shampoo and conditioner in one bottle. Your hair will feel clean and light but not stripped of natural oils. Clay shampoo gives you a good definition and makes your curls softer with no tangles. It removes product buildup and soothes the scalp while adding volume and shine to hair. Leave it on for 5-10 minutes then rinse thoroughly with warm water.
1. Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Clumping Curl Clay Cleanser by SoftSheen-Carson
2. Detoxifying Clay Wash for Natural Hair by Natural VIP (all-natural)
3. Rhassoul, Bentonite Clay Shampoo Bar by BASK AND BLOOM (Can also be used as a face wash)
Clay Shampoos for Oily Hair
Clay minerals are used in hair shampoos due to their ability to absorb the sebum and keep your roots oil-free. If you have been suffering from chronically greasy hair, a clay shampoo is worth trying.
1. Cattier Oily Scalp Green Clay Shampoo (organic certified but contains ammonium lauryl sulfate)
2. L’Oreal Paris Hair Expertise Extraordinary Clay Shampoo (not sulfate-free and not free of cruelty)
Shampoos for Oily Scalp and Dry Ends
If you have oily scalp and dry ends, you have probably gone through endless searching for hair shampoo that will moisturize your ends without leaving your hair look oily. Consider a clay-infused shampoo as clay can lift the roots without leaving your hair overly dry.
1. Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo and Conditioner Set by L’Oreal Paris (This shampoo helps get rid of greasy roots while the conditioner moisturizes dry ends)
2. Adama Clay Minerals Shampoo by Zion Health (balances scalp pH)
Scalp-Soothing Clay Shampoos
Clay in hair shampoo removes dead skin cells, impurities, and product buildup. It improves circulation to the scalp and leaves your hair refreshed clean and soft. Let the shampoo sit for 5-10 minutes to work its magic then rinse thoroughly.
1. Detoxifying Clay Wash for Natural Hair by NaturalVIP
2. Adama Clay Minerals Shampoo by Zion Health
Clay-Based Dry Shampoos: A Gentler Alternative to Chemical Laden Dry Shampoos
Dry clay shampoo is a gentle way to absorb excess oil and refresh your hair. It contains more natural ingredients and less harmful chemicals than ordinary dry shampoo, so it is less likely to cause itchiness than aerosol dry shampoos. Dry clay shampoo keeps the grease at bay and creates volume from the roots. Make sure to leave the powder on your scalp for a couple of minutes before you massage it in. Dry clay shampoo could be a great choice for very oily fine hair.
Brands that are worth considering:
1. Captain Blankenship Dry Shampoo Powder (Uses plant-based and organic ingredients to create more volume)
2. Mineral Fusion Dry Shampoo (Comes in two shades-for dark and for light hair)
3. Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal Biotin Dry Shampoo (Travel-friendly design, excellent quality, but it takes time to get used to awkward bottle dispenser)
Clay Shampoo Bars
Solid shampoos can clean the scalp and hair with approximately equal effectiveness as liquid formulas. One of the main advantages of solid shampoos in comparison with the bottled ones is that shampoo bars are more environmentally friendly. Shampoo bars are a more concentrated product that is compact and easy to transport. Plastic-free packaging doesn’t contribute to landfills. Their water-free formula doesn’t require preservatives.
A little goes a long way! Clay shampoo bar will last you for a long time if kept away from water.