What Causes Damaged Hair?
Excessive shampooing can damage the keratin in the outer layer of your hair, resulting in dry, porous, and frizzy hair. Harsh sulfate-containing shampoos can also strip the natural oils from your hair. Studies have shown that just one shampooing process can remove about 50% of the total lipid content in the hair.
Hair shampoos with improper pH levels can damage your hair too: A pH level over 5.5 opens the cuticle and increases friction between hair fibers, causing hair to tangle, develop frizz, and break. PH levels lower than 3.67 may cause hair to become hard and rough. Unfortunately, the pH value is not always listed on the label.
How to Properly Wash Your Hair
- Extend the time between washes: To avoid depleting vital moisture from your scalp and hair, try to refrain from shampooing your hair too often.
2. Use sulfate-free shampoos: Avoid shampoos that contain harsh sulfate-based detergents, such as Sodium Laureth Sulfate which can strip the hair of its natural oils. Instead, use shampoos with mild cleansing agents to preserve the protective oil layer and prevent scalp irritation.
3. Stay balanced: Only use pH-balanced shampoos (pH level 4.5-5.5) to keep the cuticle sealed and prevent your hair’s natural moisture from escaping.
4. Don’t aggressively scratch the scalp: Gently massage shampoo into your scalp with soft, circular movements using the pads of your fingertips to avoid creating tangles and overdrying your scalp.
5. Rinse thoroughly: Make sure to rinse your hair thoroughly to remove all remaining traces of shampoo and conditioner and prevent product buildup.
6. Always condition: Use conditioner after each shampoo to increase the ease of combing and to make your hair silkier. A good rinse-out conditioner will also replenish some of the oils that have been stripped by shampooing.
7. Never use hot water: Rinse your hair with lukewarm water because hot water strips hair of its natural oils and speeds up color fading.
Keratin Enriched Shampoos for Damaged Hair
Hair shampoos infused with hydrolyzed keratin (amino acids) help replenish the lost protein in your hair, improving its structure and appearance. Keratin-enriched shampoos temporarily make weak, lifeless, and over-processed hair stronger, softer, and shinier.
The following is a list of sulfate-free shampoos enriched with keratin, that are formulated to repair and straighten damaged hair. With continuous use, your hair will also become fuller and more manageable.
This sulfate-free formula provides deep cleansing without over-stripping your hair and scalp. It also infuses dry and brittle hair with moisture without weighing it down. This hair shampoo helps reduce color fading and keeps chemically treated hair soft, nourished, and shiny.
The formula uses KeraTriplex, an exclusive blend of isolated proteins that repairs and strengthens brittle and damaged hair. The Awapuhi extract helps maintain optimal moisture levels and enhances shine and manageability. A refreshing ginger aroma lingers throughout the day.
This shampoo is gentle enough for everyday use and works especially well for damaged and overprocessed hair that tends to break easily.
This is a modestly-priced, natural, keratin-infused hair shampoo. The formula is free of sulfates, parabens, salt, gluten, and synthetic fragrances.
This shampoo helps to renew the inner strength of your hair and improve its elasticity. It smooths and protects damaged strands, leaving your hair healthier, softer, and easier to style.
The ingredients that help repair damaged hair include hydrolyzed keratin, argan oil, and nutrient-rich botanical extracts.
This intense hydrating shampoo helps to revitalize dry, damaged hair and create a smooth and silky look.
The formula uses a blend of fruit oils and botanical extracts to nourish and moisturize your scalp, tame frizzy hair, and boost volume and luster.
Keratin, avocado, and peach kernel help to repair your hair from the inside and prevent breakage and split ends.
This natural shampoo with a refreshing citrus scent offers gentle cleansing and intense hydration. The formula is free of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, DEA, and gluten.
Ingredients that help bring your hair back to life:
- Lightweight rosehip oil helps balance out the moisture levels in the hair, which helps tame frizz.
- Biotin strengthens weak strands and makes hair look fuller.
- The ingredient list also includes moisture-boosting panthenol, nourishing algae extracts, and shea butter with potent moisture-retention capability.
This shampoo is ideal for individuals with dry, damaged hair. It is safe for use on colored, relaxed, and keratin-treated hair. The absence of silicones makes it suitable for lifting fine and lifeless hair. It also helps moisturize and soothe dry scalps.
5. Logona Repair Shampoo for Dry and Damaged Hair
This 100% natural shampoo helps repair dry and damaged hair, leaving it manageable, soft, and shiny. It contains the following ingredients that put life back into damaged hair:
- Vegetable-based surfactants provide gentle cleansing, making this shampoo suitable for daily use.
2 Hydrolyzed silk increases moisture retention, improves elasticity, and adds luster and manageability to dry, damaged hair.
3. Ginkgo extract helps improve blood circulation in the scalp area and enhances follicle activity, lowering the risk of losing your hair.
4. Calendula extract helps fight dandruff, soothes dry scalps, and stimulates healthy hair growth.
Bond-building shampoos and conditioners are innovative products that usually come in a set of bond-building products for damaged hair. These shampoos are ideal for hair that is damaged by permanent coloring, but they also help repair hair damaged by using hot styling tools. With regular use, bond-building shampoos repair and multiply the bonds inside the hair, making hair healthier and more resistant to breakage. The most popular in this product category are Olaplex No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo, B3 Brazilian Bond Builder Color Care Shampoo, OGX Restoring Bonding Plex Shampoo, and 4 BOND N’ PLEX Bond-Building Shampoo.