Is your hair dry, porous, brittle, weak, dull, or full of split ends? Well friend, sorry to say, but your hair is damaged, although that’s probably not news to you!
The most common sources of hair damage are chemical processing, thermal styling, mechanical manipulation, sun exposure, and harsh shampoos.
Don’t despair, because there are great products that can help repair the damage, so you can have the great locks (and looks) you’re dreaming of.
How Shampooing Can Damage Your Hair
The shampooing process itself is hard on your hair. The abrasive action can rough up the cuticle and damage the keratin in the outer layer of the hair, leading to dry, porous, and frizzy hair.
Harsh sulfate-containing shampoos strip the natural oils from your hair. Studies have shown that just one shampooing process can remove about 50% of the total lipid content in the hair.
Hair shampoos with improper pH levels damage your hair too: over 5.5 opens the cuticle and increases friction between hair fibers, causing hair tangling, frizz, and breakage, and possibly scalp irritation. A pH level of less than 3.67 may cause hair to become hard and rough. Unfortunately, the pH value is not usually listed on the label.
How Keratin Shampoos Can Help Repair Damaged Hair
Hair shampoos can be infused with hydrolyzed keratin (amino acids) to replenish and rebuild the lost or damaged protein in your hair, improving its structure and appearance. Keratin-enriched shampoos can make weak, lifeless, and over-processed hair stronger, softer, and shinier. With continuous use, your hair will become fuller and more manageable.
Suggested Shampoos for Damaged Hair:
1) Awapuhi Wild Ginger Moisturizing Lather Shampoo is a gentle, sulfate-free formula that offers a deep, lathering cleanse with a refreshing ginger aroma that lingers throughout the day.
This shampoo cleanses without over-stripping your hair and scalp and infuses your hair with moisture without weighing it down. It helps reduce color fading and keeps chemically treated hair feeling soft, nourished, and shiny.
The formula uses KeraTriplex, an exclusive blend of keratin protein that repairs and strengthens brittle and damaged hair, along with Aawapuhi extract, which maintains optimal moisture and increases manageability and shine.
This shampoo is gentle enough for daily use and is especially suitable for damaged and color-treated hair that tends to break easily.
2) Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Shampoo is a modestly-priced option for a natural, keratin-rich formula. It is made without sulfates, parabens, salt, gluten, and synthetic fragrances.
This shampoo is formulated to renew the inner strength of the hair and improve its elasticity to reduce breakage. It smooths and protects damaged strands, leaving your hair healthier, softer, and easier to style.
The ingredients that help repair damage include hydrolyzed keratin, argan oil, and nutrient-rich botanical extracts.
3) Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry Damaged Hair by Maple Holistics is an intense hydrating formula made to restore dry, damaged hair to restore a smooth and silky look. The formula uses a blend of fruit oils and botanical extracts to nourish and moisturize your scalp, tame frizz, and boost volume and luster.
Sesame, sunflower, and jojoba oils moisturize and revitalize your scalp and remove flakes and dandruff to stimulate hair follicles and support hair growth.
Keratin, avocado, and peach kernel help to repair your hair from the inside and prevent breakage and split ends.
4) Briogeo – Don’t Despair, Repair! Super Moisture Shampoo is a natural formula that offers gentle cleansing and intense hydration with a refreshing citrus scent. It is made without sulfates, parabens, phthalates, DEA, or gluten.
It leaves your hair clean, soft, and bouncy. The absence of silicones makes it suitable for lifting fine and lifeless hair.
Ingredients that help bring your hair back to life:
- Lightweight rosehip oil helps balance hair hydration and tame frizz.
- Biotin works to improve the structure of weak strands from the inside.
- Hydrolized vegetable protein optimizes moisture level, lubricates hair fibers, and strengthens the cuticle.
- The ingredient list also includes moisture-boosting panthenol, algae extracts with nourishing properties, and shea butter with potent moisture-retention capability.
This shampoo is especially suitable for individuals with dry, damaged hair, and is safe for use on colored, relaxed, and keratin-treated hair. It also helps moisturize and soothe your dry scalp.
5) Logona Repair Shampoo for Dry and Damaged Hair is a 100% natural formula developed to repair dry and damaged hair and make it manageable, soft, and shiny.
Vegetable-based surfactants provide gentle cleansing, making this shampoo suitable for daily use.
Hydrolyzed silk increases moisture retention, improves elasticity, and adds luster and manageability to your hair.
Ginkgo extract helps improve blood circulation and enhances follicle activity, lowering the risk of losing your hair.
Calendula extract helps fight dandruff, avoid dry scalp, and stimulates healthy hair growth.
How to Avoid Damage from Shampoo
Try to refrain from shampooing your hair every day, which can dry out your scalp and hair.
Avoid shampoo formulas that use harsh sulfate-based detergents, such as sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate, which can strip the hair of its natural oils. You want mild cleansing agents to avoid stripping the protective layer of oils and prevent scalp irritation.
Only use pH balanced shampoos (4.5-5.5), which will keep the cuticle closed and prevent your hair’s natural moisture from escaping.
Gently massage shampoo into your scalp with soft, circular movements using the pads of your fingertips to avoid tangling your hair with aggressive shampooing.
Rinse hair thoroughly to remove all traces of shampoo from your hair and avoid product buildup.
Use conditioner to improve the ease of combing and to make your hair soft and silky. A good rinse-out conditioner will reduce damage to the outer layer of the hair from harsh shampoos and replenish some of the oils that have been stripped by shampooing.
Avoid rinsing your hair with hot water because this can strips hair of its natural, protective oils and speed up color fading.