Conditioner washing is a gentle way to clean hair without stripping natural oils. Conditioners don’t contain harsh detergents, that are normally found in ordinary hair shampoos. They use gentle cationic surfactants with mild cleansing properties. They also contain a variety of moisturizing and conditioning ingredients.
Including co-washing in your regimen can give your hair a break from harsh, chemical-filled shampoos. You can co-wash as often as you feel like it, without causing further hair and scalp dehydration. Many people have noticed that going shampoo-free makes their hair softer, frizz-free, and easier to detangle and style.
However, make sure to regularly clarify to prevent product build-up.
Cleansing conditioners are formulated to cleanse and condition your hair in one step. You can also use regular conditioner to co-wash effectively, while deep conditioners and protein conditioners are not suitable for co-washing.
Co-washing products are usually made for a specific hair type. When you are choosing a conditioner to co-wash your hair, look at the label carefully to ensure that the product will work for your hair type. Also, look at the ingredients list to ensure that your co-washing formula is free of sulfates, silicones, and parabens. Stay away from products that contain water non-soluble silicones as they cause buildup and require a sulfate shampoo for removal.
While harsh shampoo detergents can be damaging to curly hair, moisturizing properties of co-washing conditioners make these products especially suitable for naturally curly or wavy hair. Conditioner washing helps define curls and makes them feel softer. The following are some co-wash conditioners designed to specifically target curly hair. These products offer gentle cleansing and provide optimal curl hydration.
1. If you care about what you put on your hair and scalp, Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Co-Wash Conditioning Cleanser may be worth trying because it is formulated with natural and certified organic ingredients. According to EWG safety standards, only one ingredient (Behentrimonium Chloride) is classified as a medium health concern, while other ingredients are ranked as non-toxic and are considered safe for use in personal care products.
In addition to conditioning ingredients, this co-wash conditioner also contains African Black Soap extract and Kaolin Clay which are natural cleansing agents.
2. PURA D’OR Moisture Protect Cleansing Conditioner is a gentle co-wash formula made for dry, frizzy, and knotted hair. It comes with an impressive ingredient list and is free of harmful chemicals and cruelty. Certified organic plant extracts and oils help revitalize dry damaged hair, giving it a healthy shine.
This co-wash helps maintain the moisture inside the hair and makes your hair soft, weightless, and easy to comb. It leaves the curls more defined and makes curly hair softer and much more manageable.
3. As I Am Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner works best for 3 and 4 hair types and for also wavy hair that feels dry. This light conditioning cream contains cationic surfactants that are capable of breaking down sebum and styling product residue. Natural oils and humectants help seal in moisture, while a blend of natural ingredients works to promote healthy hair growth. This conditioner provides a nice slip for easy detangling. The mild coconut scent doesn’t linger in your hair. The product comes in a jar which is appreciated by people who prefer environmentally-friendly packaging solutions.
How to use: Wet hair thoroughly to make co-washing more effective. Rub a generous amount of product in your palms and spread it through your hair until it feels saturated. Massage the scalp with your fingertips just as you would a shampoo. Carefully detangle hair using a wide-tooth comb. Rinse thoroughly.
4. Macadamia Oil Flawless is a multi-tasking hair care product that leaves hair feeling clean and hydrated without stripping the color. It makes combing effortless, reduces frizz, and cuts down on drying time. It leaves hair soft, shiny and makes the styling process much easier.
How to use: Take 1 to 2 pumps and apply to soaking wet hair. Gently massage throughout the hair for 3 to 5 minutes, spreading the product over the hair and scalp area. Add more water to help spread the product if needed. Comb through using your fingers or a comb. Rinse thoroughly.
Rotate the Flawless with your normal shampoo or clarify regularly if you use it in place of shampoo.
5. NATURALICIOUS Moroccan Rhassoul 5-in-1 Clay Treatment (Curly/Wavy Edition) is claimed to do the work of five products. It gently cleanses hair and removes excess sebum, toxins, impurities, and product buildup. It also acts as a smoothing conditioner, detangler, deep conditioner, and leave-in conditioner.
Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul 5-in-1 Clay Treatment is formulated with natural ingredients. It is free of sulfates, mineral oil, parabens, and gluten. The treatment is infused with natural mineral clay and is rich in silica, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. Cocoa butter and olive oil nourish your scalp and keep your hair soft and easy to detangle.
How to use: Shake well before using. Wet hair thoroughly, then apply a generous amount of the product. Make sure you coat all of the hair evenly. Massage the treatment into your scalp and hair, then gently detangle. Don’t let the product to dry too much. Rinse quite well to make sure you have washed little sand bits out of your hair.
You may also like: