If you have lighter hair, temporary hair dyes are an easy way to express your creative side. The results can be seen in your hair immediately, and you can switch to a different hair color whenever you want.
However, if your hair is on a darker side and you want to play with different hair colors, it may be hard to find a temporary hair dye that will show up on your hair without bleaching. Most of the wash-out hair colors don’t work well on the brunette hair, or the color looks too subtle.
Although the options are limited, it is not impossible to add fun colors to your dark locks. A range of temporary hair dyes can create a cool effect on dark hair and give you an instant party style. It takes a little bit more investigation to find available and affordable options for a little color fun without having to involve bleach. Remember that the color may take a bit more effort to show up the way you want it.
Colored Hairsprays for Dark Hair
A colored hairspray is the easiest way to cover broad areas of hair. Some brands of temporary hair sprays work on all color shades. If you are a brunette, you may need to apply an extra amount to get the color to show up nicely.
1) Color Hair Spray by Graftobian is a professional, transfer-resistant formula made in Germany. Several shades are suitable for covering newly grown or thinning hair but you can also purchase red, green, purple, silver, or white color. All these colors show up well on dark hair.
2) Bwild Hair Color Spray by Jerome Russell comes in many vivid colors that work beautifully on dark hair. The product has a mild and pleasant scent. The color is easy to spray in and wash out.
Drawback: The color can rub on the skin and can also get on your clothing. Once you apply it, refrain from touching your hair.
3) Dark and Lovely Go Intense Color Sprays by SoftSheen-Carson is available in 7 shades. This color spray works well on dark hair. The color appears more vivid in daylight than indoors. The product is easy to apply and washes out completely in one shampoo wash.
Drawback: It rubs off easily and can leave your hair feeling stiff.
4) Bwild Color Spray, Bengal Blue by Bwild comes in 7 shades and has good coverage on dark hair if you spray on well or use white as a base.
Hair Chalks for Brunette Hair
Hair chalks work great for putting streaks of vibrant color in your hair. They produce the brightest results on light-colored hair. It takes patience to get them to show up on brunette hair. If you are a brunette, chalk markers will suit your hair better than hair chalk sticks.
1) Arteza Temporary Hair Chalk Pens by ARTEZA are supposed to work on every hair color. Most colors show up well on dark hair, giving you gorgeous, muted pastel hair colors.
2) Hair Chalk Set by Philonext offers hair chalks with a rotating head to control the length. This makes the application more convenient and less messy for your hands. This chalk can be applied to clean, dry hair of any color but it will look brighter when applied to light hair.
Colored Hair Pomades
1) Joyous Hair Color Mud by Silvercell is a strong-hold hairstyling product designed to color your hair instantly. It comes in gray, purple, red, blue, and golden shades. The colors show up well on dark hair.
Drawback: This product may leave your hair feeling sticky, and the color may bleed onto your skin.
2) White Hair Wax by HailiCare allows you to style and temporarily color your hair simultaneously. It will show up well on your brunette hair, but you may have to use a lot of product to get your desired color.
Drawback: It stains your hands and can leave your hair feeling hard and stiff.
Colored Hair Gels for Dark Hair
Moon Glow – Blacklight Neon UV Hair Gel comes in several UV colors that glow under blacklight. The colors are visible in natural light also. The color shows up well on darker hair, but you may have to apply a more generous amount of the product to get a bright color.
Hair Makeup 1-Day Color
Colorista Hair Makeup byL’Oreal is an innovative jelly formula that offers a palette of 10 shades for brunettes. Although some shades are made exclusively for brunettes, the colors look subtle on very dark hair.
This makeup for hair is not suitable for full head hair color, but it allows you to have one-day hair highlights. The application is not messy and once dry the color is transfer resistant. To apply, you must massage the drops of color into the tips of your hair and comb through.
Drawback: The product may leave your hair feeling sticky and greasy.
Colored Clip in Hair Extensions
These small pieces of hair come in multiple colors. You just need to snap them into your hair to get the vibrant rainbow colors that look super bright against dark hair. These colorful pieces are great for experimenting with different colors without having to dye your hair.
Drawback: These clip-ins easily get tangled.