Freshly colored hair color is gorgeous and eye-catching. But after a few washes, your dye job starts to fade and your hair may appear dull and lackluster. This happens due to regular washing, heat styling, and harsh environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight, sea salt, or chlorinated water.
Is there a solution to fading color without having to constantly run back to the salon?
Fortunately, the answer is yes! The new miracle cure for color fading is color depositing shampoos!
If your hair is dyed, a color-depositing shampoo will prevent color fading and revive your existing shade by depositing color pigments with each wash. This product is especially helpful for upkeeping colors that fade easily.
What is Color-Depositing Shampoo?
Color-depositing shampoo is a tinted shampoo formula that deposits temporary color onto your hair while cleansing it. Unlike regular shampoos, the main purpose of this product is to replenish your color to prevent fading.
The color pigments within the product replenish the color that washes away during shampooing. Your hair looks beautifully and freshly colored.
Color-infused shampoos can also be used to color your pre-lightened hair in bright fashion colors.
Since color-depositing shampoos just deposit color molecules on the hair shaft, your hair needs to be lightened and porous to grab the pigments readily and give you the desirable results. These products don’t work well on untreated low-porosity hair.
Benefits of Using a Color-Infused Shampoo
1. Salon dye jobs can be expensive and time-consuming. A shampoo with a color tint extends the life of your color so you can stretch out the time between trips to the salon. Regular use of this product keeps your color fresh and glossy between touch-ups.
2. A pigmented shampoo enhances and maintains bright colors, reducing the need for frequent use of hair dyes. A tinted shampoo doesn’t contain permanent hair dye, so you can use it as often as you want without compromising the integrity of your hair.
3. It refreshes the color instantly, so you can see a difference after the first use. You can shampoo your hair as often as you want without fear of stripping your color!
4. Shampoos with color tint are a lifesaver for colors that are hard to maintain, such as red.
Downsides of Using Tinted Shampoos
1. Color depositing shampoos will temporarily stain your hands, fingernails, and light-colored towels. Consider wearing gloves and use dark-colored towels. If you don’t wear gloves, thoroughly wash your hands and nails with soap as soon as you finish the application.
2. The pigments will also stain your shower walls and other surfaces. To ensure there won’t be permanent stains, you need to rinse all surfaces immediately after shampoo application. Your pillows or clothes won’t get stained unless your hair is wet.
3. Color shampoos can make your hair a little dry. Make sure to follow with a good conditioner.
4. This shampoo will not deposit color on virgin hair that lacks porosity. To get the desired results, your hair needs to be bleached. It also won’t work on gray hair or on your naturally-dark regrowth. However, if you use a generous amount and leave it on longer than recommended, it may leave some color.
How Long will Effects Last?
The color will look fresh as long as you use color depositing shampoo regularly. The color will continue to fade if you start to wash your hair with a regular shampoo. It washes out a little each time you use regular shampoo before completely disappearing.
You can use a color-infused shampoo for each wash (if your color tends to fade quickly) or alternate it with your regular shampoo. You can also use this product either alone or after your regular shampoo. If your hair is oily or fairly dirty, use your regular shampoo to cleanse it first.
Color Depositing Shampoo Brands
This post contains links to Amazon. The publisher may get paid if You purchase something through the links without additional costs to You.
1. Celeb Luxury Viral Colorwash is a line of color-rich enhancer shampoos designed to stop fading and to boost and maintain fashion shades.
Since fashion colors fade really quickly, you need something to extend the life of your color service without having to pay for expensive salon touch-ups. This color depositing shampoo is perfect for maintaining fashion shades because your color gets brighter and more vibrant with each wash.
It is meant to boost your existing shade; it can’t totally change the color. However, it can create beautiful fashion shades on hair that has been lightened to the palest blonde.
This shampoo will not deposit visible color if you have dark or naturally blonde hair, and it cannot be used to cover your gray strands. If you have highlights, the color will stay just on the bleached hair.
The results last for a few washes or until using the product regularly. Once you stop using this shampoo, the color will start to fade out.
Celeb Luxury Viral Colorwash is great for experimenting! You can mix it with your regular shampoo for less intense color vibrancy. You can also combine two different shades to create one unique color. The possibilities are endless.
2. Watercolors Color Maintenance Shampoo is supposed to be used to refresh hair color while cleansing your locks. This sulfate-free product comes in a variety of shades formulated to enhance and maintain rich color between salon visits. Watercolors Color Maintenance Shampoo can also be used to enhance the natural hues in virgin hair.
3. Watercolors Intense Shampoo is available in 11 fashion colors and can be used to maintain and intensify existing fashion colors. The product also can be used to provide temporary colors on the hair that has been pre-lightened to level 7 or higher. The color will be more intense if your hair is pre-lightened to a higher level.
4. Joico Color Infuse collection of shampoos and conditioners are designed to prevent color fading and boost the intensity and shine of brown, auburn, and red hair colors.
Color Infuse Copper Shampoo is formulated for Auburn and red-colored hair to restore rich auburn and reddish color and help slow down fading. It also works for blondes that want to achieve a warmer tone.
Joico Color Infuse Brown Shampoo is formulated to refresh all shades of brunette and ensure that the color will stay rich. It enhances light to medium brown shades, boosts golden highlights, and adds a beautiful shine.
Disclaimer: All content on this blog is created for informational purposes only. You shouldn’t use it as a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Last Updated on March 22, 2022 by Gaga
Gaga is a blogger and founder of the Softer Hair website. She often says that insomnia is to blame for her first blogging attempts. Being the night owl, she hated the morning alarm. She left her office job and returned to what she loved most - writing. Her pets are her coworkers, and she replaced the town crowd with a quiet neighborhood outside the city.