Last Updated on January 15, 2022 by Gaga
Olaplex revolutionized the process of coloring hair, enabling professional colorists to achieve higher levels of lift without compromising the integrity of the hair. The line of innovative products was developed to protect the hair during the lightening and coloring sessions and to repair damage caused by previous chemical treatments. These Olaplex products can restore structurally damaged hair by reconnecting broken chemical bonds in the hair.
Olaplex No.1 Bond Multiplier and Olaplex No.2 Bond Perfector are meant to be used in a salon by hair professionals. Olaplex No.3 is a take-home treatment, formulated for consumers who need to improve the condition of their hair and prevent further damage, regardless if they have received Olaplex salon treatment or not.
The company has recently extended its Bond Maintenance System by releasing – Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo and Olaplex No. 5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner. Olaplex shampoo and conditioner are both formulated using patented OLAPLEX bond-building technology that has been proven to improve the integrity of damaged and chemically processed hair. The concentration of active ingredient – Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate is significantly lower than in Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector.
Should you Use Olaplex Shampoo and Conditioner?
If your hair is damaged, dry, and porous, it will benefit from using Olaplex shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo helps strengthen weakened strands by rebuilding broken bonds in the hair to increase elasticity and reduce breakage. Less breakage means less frizz and static and shinier, healthier hair. If you have dyed blonde hair, you might want to include this shampoo in your hair care regimen to keep your locks healthy and stunning.
However, if your hair is not damaged or overly porous you probably will not see any visible improvement by using this shampoo. People with virgin fine hair can even feel that their locks are weighted down and flattened after using Olaplex shampoo.
The same applies to the conditioner. Using conditioner is important to infuse hair with moisture and prevent tangling. For damaged and porous hair Olaplex No 5 will provide even more benefits. However, if you have healthy, low porosity, or oily hair, you actually don’t need this conditioner. You should use a lightweight conditioner in moderation and apply it only to the ends of your hair.
Olaplex No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo is designed to repair and moisturize your hair during shampooing. It is formulated to relink broken bonds and leave your hair stronger and healthier with every wash.
The Olaplex shampoo has a thick consistency and great foaming capability. It creates rich lather despite the lack of harsh sulfate cleansers. Moreover, you only need to use a pea-sized amount to get your hair clean and nourished.
It has a pleasant and refreshing citrus smell.
- Mild, sulfate-free surfactants derived from coconuts leave your hair feeling clean without stripping its essential moisture.
- Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate helps repair disulfide bonds that have been damaged or broken during chemical processing, such as bleaching, perming, and chemical straightening.
- The formula is free of harsh sulfate cleansers, parabens, sodium chloride, and gluten.
- Re-links broken bonds to repair and strengthen the hair
- Repairs the ends prolonging the time between haircuts
- Reduces tangles and tames frizzy and flyaway hair
- Soften coarse hair and makes it easier to manage
- Reduces the damaging impact of hair products and external stressors
How to use: Shampoo as you normally would. You only need a dime-sized amount of shampoo to create rich leather.
Olaplex No. 5 Conditioner is a highly-moisturizing hair care product that uses Olaplex bond-building technology to repair damaged hair and prevent future damage.
The conditioner is hard to squeeze out of the bottle due to its super thick consistency. Make sure to store the bottle upside down to get the product out easier.
Much like the No. 4 shampoo, this conditioner has a light, citrusy fragrance.
- Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate helps protect and restore damaged hair by repairing broken disulfide bonds.
- A vegetable-derived bio-lipid complex called Phytenso provides long-lasting moisture and color protection.
- Avocado oil has intense moisturizing properties that help detangle hair and reduce breakage.
- Acai berry extract helps strengthen hair from the root and supports new hair growth.
- Strengthens damaged hair by re-linking broken internal bonds
- Hydrates hair to boost elasticity and combat brittleness
- Makes detangling easier
- Adds softness and volume to fine processed hair
- Eliminates frizz and adds a healthy shine
- Leaves hair silky, bouncy, and easy to manage
How to use: Leave the conditioner on your hair for about three minutes. You only need a dime-sized amount since the product is pretty thick. Distribute it evenly throughout your hair. Rinse, dry, and style your hair as you normally would.