Regular coloring, excessive brushing, and overuse of hot tools can gradually strip away the hair’s protective layer, leaving your strands vulnerable and susceptible to splitting along the hair shaft. Hair ends may split into two or more fragments making your hair look dry, frizzy, and unattractive. Split ends also prevent your hair from growing long.
How to Fix Split Ends
Trimming off a half an inch off your hair every eight to ten weeks is the best way to get rid of split ends. Your hair will still grow because the average hair growth rate is 1 to 1.5 cm per month.
After careful trimming, you need to use the right products to prevent split ends from occurring. You also must avoid hair care routines that lead to the appearance of split ends.
Although split ends cannot be permanently repaired, some hair products such as hair serums, smoothing balms, and leave in conditioners can be used to “glue” split ends together, fixing them temporarily. This method makes split ends less noticeable and prevents them from progressing.
Products that Mend Split Ends
1) Brazilian Blowout Split End Professional Repairing Solution Treatment promises to repair split ends instantly and to prevent future damage to hair. The treatment takes about 10 minutes, providing 4 weeks of healthier and stronger ends.
This treatment works best on chemically processed, porous hair. For optimum results, it should be performed after coloring or other chemical services.
The formula uses a proprietary Thermo-Marine Bonding System™ – a heat activated protein to create a protective layer around the hair shaft.
- The Split End Repair Treatment performed after a haircut service keeps your hair cut looking salon fresh.
- The treatment instantly mends split ends and helps prevent future splitting.
- It smoothens the damaged cuticles, eliminates frizz, and makes your hair appear healthier.
- By maintaining healthy ends, it helps your hair grow longer.
How to perform the Brazilian Blowout Split End Repairing Treatment:
- Wash your hair as normal. Apply the product to towel dried hair using a color application brush. The solution should be applied to the lower portion of your hair up to about two inches above your ends.
- Use a wide tooth comb to spread the product evenly through the ends. You should use no more than ¼ oz. unless you have very long, thick hair or extremely damaged ends. There should be no excess white product being left on the comb.
- Blow-dry your hair until it is completely dry using a boar bristle round brush. Keep the blow dryer 2-3 inches away from your hair to minimize steam.
- Take 1” to 1 ½” sections of your hair and flat iron the bottom part of each section to thermally seal the ends. Glide the straightener over the ends 2-3 times with loose tension.
Once the product is sealed onto the hair shaft, your treatment is complete. You may wash your hair and style it the way you want.
2) ORIBE Split End Seal Beautiful Color Treatment is a silkening hair serum, split-end mender, and color protectant. The product claims to repair up to 94% of split ends after one use.
Active ingredients and benefits:
- A polymer blend binds damaged ends together, preventing them from going further up the hair shaft.
- Amino acids from the Carob Tree adhere to the hair shaft to repair damage and strengthen hair fibers.
- Heat-Activated Vegetable Protein boosts moisture and protects your hair against damage from styling tools.
- Olive, Jojoba, Moringa Seed, and Baobab oils add intense shine and provide antioxidant protection.
- Artichoke Leaf Extract blocks harmful free-radicals and improves the strength and overall quality of the hair.
- Edelweiss Flower extracts protect the hair from UV damage and prevent color fading.
- Watermelon and Lychee extracts prevent deterioration of natural keratin, boost shine, and promote hair growth.
Suggested use: Apply to damp hair in a downward motion before you start blow-drying. You can also apply it to dry hair either before or after styling.
3) Marrakesh Endz Lotion is formulated to seal and condition dry ends and prevent future splitting.
The ingredients with reparative and nourishing properties include Argan Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, and Panthenol.
- While some leave-in conditioners can leave hair looking dirty, this lightweight one instantly absorbs into your hair without making it flat or oily.
- This split end mender enhances shine and controls frizz and static. It leaves hair soft and easy to brush.
- This lotion is cruelty-free, safe for color treated hair, and smells heavenly.
Suggested use: Apply a small quantity either to wet or dry hair, focusing on the bottom part of your hair. Gently press into the ends. Style as desired.
4) Fanola Nutri Care Restructuring Fluid Crystals contain bonding agents that work to fix split ends and make your hair smooth and easy to style.
It works best for curly, wavy, frizzy, unruly, permed, and damaged hair.
Aloe Vera and Linseed oil provide the hair with moisture and soothe an itchy scalp.
Suggested use: Use either on damp or dry hair. A few drops of this restructuring fluid will smooth damaged ends and infuse your hair with a gorgeous shine.
5) Redken Unisex Extreme Length Sealer Treatment is formulated to repair damaged hair, and seal split ends to help you grow longe hair.
Ingredients: Biotin is included in the formula to strengthen and deeply condition your locks. A blend of ingredients called Interlock Protein Network infuses your hair with protein and amino acids to restore the inner strength of your hair, repair weak spots, and bond split ends.
The product adds shine to overprocessed hair and tames frizz and puffiness.
Suggested use: Apply the product to most damaged areas of your hair, using the provided application brush, or use your fingers to apply it to mid-lengths and ends. Re-apply after each wash because the effects last only until next shampoo.