What is Sugar Spray?
These multi-purpose styling products are becoming a popular alternative to salt-based texturizing sprays. Sugar hair sprays are infused with sugar cane extract, which has the ability to give fullness, texture, and glossiness to your hair. Unlike conventional hair sprays, most sugar sprays are free of drying alcohol and harsh chemicals. Unlike sea-salt sprays, they won’t strip your hair of its natural moisture. These styling products are also safe for the environment.
Sugar sprays add a great ocean texture to your locks with lasting benefits. If you want to achieve that popular tousled, beach hair look without the drying effects of salt, a sugar hairspray can be the right choice.
Best candidates: Sugar cane extract is a good moisturizing agent that can be particularly beneficial for individuals with dry, damaged, or chemically processed hair. This effective humectant draws moisture to the hair and coats each individual strand, creating the illusion of fuller hair. If used carefully sugar styling sprays still allow your hair to have plenty of bounce and movement.
It is a great choice if you need to make your hair more manageable, especially if you have fine hair.
These products are suitable for all hair types and textures and can be applied either to damp or dry hair. When used prior to blow-drying, sugar sprays give hair a fuller appearance. When applied after styling, they provide great hold and help your hairstyle last longer.
Popular brands: Bodifying + Bamboo Fiber-Full Sugar High Tousle Spray by OGX (bamboo fibers and sugar cane extract), Wella EIMI Sugar Lift Sugar Spray (pleasant scent, and a great lift for fine hair but contains METHYLPARABEN), Paul Mitchell Neon Sugar Tease Hairspray (citrus/vanilla scent, great texturizer for fine hair, but defective pumps), SeaSugar Salt-Free Beach Spray by ColorProof (block UV rays to protect the color), Pureology Style + Protect Beach Waves Sugar Spray (tousled, beachy waves without drying effect, color-protecting sunscreens), and Professional Sugar Beach Spray by Kenra.
Benefits of Using a Sugar-Based Spray for Styling Your Hair
1. More volume: These styling products work great for anyone with thin, fine hair that needs more body and texture. Sugar sprays enhance natural texture and help build volume and style. They also provide lift and help keep the volume all day long.
2. Better hold: A sugar spray enhances the body and gives control to limp straight hair, giving it much needed structure and making it more voluminous. Sugar sprays also help to control and maintain hold for hair that is already voluminous.
3. Conditioning benefits: Sugar cane extract has moisturizing and conditioning properties and helps protect hair from breakage. If your hair is on the dry side, you might want to try a sugar-based styling spray.
4. Curl enhancer: This product nourishes your curls and enhances your natural curl pattern. It also helps your curling iron curls stay longer.
5. Frizz tamer: A sugar spray cuts down on the frizz and helps tame flyaway hair.
6. Shine booster: This hairspray also adds a little extra shine to your hair.
7. Color-friendly: Sugar extract won’t strip color from your hair. Remember to check the label to make sure that the spray doesn’t contain sulfates or sodium chloride alongside the sugar extract.
8. The flowers of heaven: Sugar styling sprays leave your hair smelling great and generally have a more pleasant scent than salt sprays.
1. Sugar hairspray can leave your hair a bit crunchy if you use too much of the product. To avoid stiffness, use no more than a few squirts. Try spraying the product onto your hands and then applying it to your hair.
2. Some brands may contain harsh chemicals such as parabens, fragrances, Methylisothiazolinone, Citral, Coumarin, Diazolidinyl Urea, Limonene, and Linalool. Always check the label and opt for a product with natural ingredients. The majority of quality sugar-infused sprays contain only sugar extract and a few nourishing ingredients.
3. Sticking residue may clog the nozzle, preventing the product from dispensing correctly. To fix it, try to run the nozzle under hot water for several minutes.
Sugar Hair Sprays Vs. Salt Infused Hair Sprays
Sugar hair sprays are less drying to the hair than salt-based products due to the moisturizing effects of sugar extract. This is particularly important if you have curly or chemically processed hair.
Sugar cane extract has a conditioning effect, so these sprays are more suitable for chemically processed and damaged hair than sea salt sprays.
Sugar styling sprays can be used to control frizz and flyaway hair, while salt sprays can exacerbate frizz due to the drying effects sea salt can have on hair.
Sugar-based sprays enhance hair’s shine, while salt sprays give hair beachy texture with a more matte look.
Salt found in hair sprays can strip color and keratin treatment from your hair. Sugar-based hair sprays are keratin– and color-friendly products as long as they don’t contain strong chemicals in their formula.
Salt sprays provide a more texturized look and work best for fine hair to add body and thickness. Sugar sprays provide better hold and a softer texture, and they are ideal for styling medium to thick hair.
Sugar styling sprays will offer more softness and subtle waves, while sea salt sprays help you get a gritty look and beachy waves.
How to Use a Sugar Hair Spray?
Sugar styling sprays are suitable for all hair types and can be used either on dry or damp hair. You can use the product before blow-drying if you want to add extra volume or apply it after styling your hair if you want more hold. Spray 20-30 cm away from the hair to make your hairstyle last.
To give fine hair volume, spray a few spritzes on damp, ready to blow-dry the hair. To create maximum body, lift hair, and spray near your roots before blow-drying.
For a just-back-from-the-beach texture and tousled waves, apply to damp hair before blow-drying, focusing the spray on the midsection and ends of your hair. Apply to dry hair and scrunch small sections to get a fresh tousled look.
Apply a few spritzes to dry hair for light to medium hold. Spray more after styling for a long-lasting, firm hold. Spray in layers for the strongest hold, but don’t overdo it to avoid crunchiness.
Spraying the product on damp hair and combing it through may help to prevent the crunchiness.
Cover your clothes with a towel during application as the spray can be sticky when wet.