Last Updated on January 15, 2022 by Gaga
Collagen and keratin are types of fibrous proteins that play a vital role in the structure of our hair.
Collagen: Collagen is the main structural protein in the body that helps hold the body’s tissues together. This protein is also responsible for maintaining healthy hair and skin. However, the body’s collagen production decreases as we age. In addition to other signs of aging, the drop in collagen production results in brittle, dry, and lifeless hair.
When added to hair care products, collagen makes your strands more elastic and less prone to breakage. Collagen also calms frizz, provides smoothness, and makes your hair shinier and more manageable.
Keratin: Keratin is the primary component of hair fibers and is responsible for a healthy hair structure. Keratin-infused hair care products are used to replenish lost keratin and temporarily strengthen hair. Keratin is also used as an ingredient in hair straightening and smoothing treatments. Keratin treatments temporarily straighten hair, tame frizziness, and add a gorgeous shine.
The new concept in hair care uses a holistic synergy of keratin and collagen proteins. Collagen-infused keratin treatments are available at salons, while some milder formulas can be applied at home.
The main purpose of a keratin treatment with collagen is not to straighten hair, but to bring your hair back to its naturally healthy condition, making it feel soft and frizz-free.
If your main goal is to have straighter hair, a well-trained professional stylist will provide you with the desired results. To make your hair look sleek and straight, your stylist will flat iron smaller sections of hair by doing more passes per section and applying more pressure. For frizz-eliminating purposes, you can take larger sections of your hair and apply less pressure while straightening them.
Advantages of Collagen-Infused Keratin Hair Treatments
A keratin treatment with collagen can be done on any type of hair, but they work best on dry, damaged, and overly-porous hair.
- The treatment uses a blend of keratin and collagen to deeply repair damaged hair, recover the strength and elasticity of hair fibers, and reduce breakage and split ends.
- Keratin treatments with collagen replenish hair strands with protein and moisture, making your hair appear more youthful and healthier.
- Collagen-infused keratin treatments repair and strengthen hair cuticles, living your hair sleeker, shinier, and easier to manage and style.
- The infusion of collagen and keratin smoothens out the ruffled cuticle layer to lock in moisture, which helps to diminish frizz and make your style more resistant to humidity.
For straightening purposes, choose to get the treatment done at a salon. The procedure may take 2 to 3 hours depending on the length and thickness of your hair.
If you’re considering doing the treatment by yourself, it’s best to have an extra pair of hands to help you with the application. Choose a formaldehyde-free formula, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
1. Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove all impurities and product build-up, and prepare your hair to receive the treatment.
2. Towel dry your hair until it’s about 80% dry.
3. Separate your hair into sections for easier application, leaving the bottom section hanging down.
4. Starting at the nape of your neck, take 1” sections of hair to work at a time. Using a color brush, apply small amounts of the product onto the 1” sections from roots to ends, avoiding the scalp. Use a wide-toothed comb to distribute the product along the length of your hair.
5. Leave the treatment in your hair for the recommended time, while running a comb through it several times for more even distribution.
6. Rinse your hair thoroughly with water.
7. Blow-dry your hair using medium heat until it is completely dry.
8. Seal the product by using a flat iron with titanium plates. Set the temperature according to the thickness and condition of your hair.
For fine, chemically-treated, or extremely damaged hair, set your flat iron temperature at 400°F – 420°F to avoid heat-damaged hair. For fragile hair, also use a smaller number of passes (5 – 7) with the hair straightener.
For the virgin, thick, coarse, or extremely curly hair, set the temperature at 430°F – 450°F and pass 8 – 10 times over each section of hair.
Don’t wash your hair for 48-72 hours after application. The longer you wait, the smoother your results will be.
To maintain results, use sulfate-free and salt-free shampoo and conditioner.
How Long Does the Treatment Last?
This treatment lasts 2 to 4 months depending on shampoo type and frequency. The results fade gradually with each shampoo.
You can re-apply the treatment every 2-4 months.
Hair Products with Keratin and Collagen
The list of the most popular products includes Hair Smoothing Treatment Zero Formaldehyde-free by KERAGEN, Hair Repair Organic Collagen-infused Keratin treatment formaldehyde-free by KOKO KERATIN, Protein Rx Critical Hair Repair Keratin and Collagen Protein Treatment by Planet EdenCurrently, Keratin + Collagen Hair Smoothing Treatment by Irresistible Me, Bioline Hair Protein by Protein Organic, PKC Ultimate Protein Keratin With Collagen Straightening Professional Home Care Kit, and AlfaParf Lisse Design Express Smoothing Treatment Kit and LA Brasiliana Original Keratin Treatment With Collagen.