What’s a Silver Shampoo?
Today’s post will explain why you might need a silver shampoo in your bathroom cabinet.
2. Chemical treatments and harsh shampoos tend to speed up color dulling and reveal warm undertones in bleached hair.
3. Natural gray hair can also turn yellow and lose its shine from exposure to sun and air pollutants.
How silver shampoos can help: Silver, platinum, and gray hair require a special color toning shampoo known as a silver shampoo. Silver shampoo is the way to go if you want to neutralize any yellow tones in dyed blonde hair and bring out a nice icy color. This color-balancing shampoo also keeps silver hair color cool and beautiful. Finally, if you’re planning to go gray, make sure to add silver shampoo to your shower lineup as it helps to restore the strengths and softness of aging hair.
What Silver Shampoo and Purple Shampoo Have in Common?
The terms purple and silver shampoos are often used interchangeably as both types are actually purple-colored. Each of these toning shampoos is designed based on the color wheel theory to counteract any unwanted tones that may appear in bleached or graying hair. How’s for a rainbow connection?
Differences between Silver and Purple Shampoos?
1. The pigments:
Purple shampoos contain deeper shades of purple pigments to counteract unwanted brassiness while silver shampoos deliver lighter violet/blue pigments to preserve the clarity of cool shades.
Some silver shampoos such as Oribe Silverati Shampoo aren’t purple colored. The Oribe shampoo contains a blend of bluish and silver pigments that brighten grey and silver hair. It’s a good choice if you don’t want that “elderly blue-haired lady” look.
2. Hair shades they are meant for:
Purple shampoos perform best on blonde hair that needs to get rid of brassy tones. These also help make gray hair brighter without turning white strands silvery.
Silver shampoos are the best choice for silver, gray, and platinum hair. They add a lovely silvery shine to white and gray hair. Silver shampoos can also take the yellow out of blonde hair and pull more cool ashy tones. It’s okay to be shady, ladies!
3. Conditioning properties:
The primary task of purple shampoos is to remove brassy tones from hair. Most of these shampoos don’t contain conditioning ingredients and can leave your hair dry and brittle if used in place of your regular shampoo. For best results use the purple shampoo once a week or mix it with your daily shampoo. Sulfate-free formulas (listed below) are gentler on the hair that’s already dry and brittle from frequent bleaching.
Silver shampoos have more softening and smoothing ingredients to address the needs of coarse gray hair. They’re beneficial if you want to go gray and keep your locks looking beautiful.
Mellow That Yellow: Silver Shampoo Brands
If you want to add a little silver to your life, get yourself some of the shampoos below!
Sweet Treat: 1. milk_shake Silver Shampoo
Who doesn’t love a milkshake, right? Well, your hair color also has a sweet tooth! Unlike many other brands, it doesn’t leave your hair dry. Its purple tint is extraordinarily strong and can fix brassy hair in just one wash.
- Immediately brightens hair and keeps nasty yellow tones out of blonde, grey, and white hair
- Transforms brassiness in blonde hair in nice ashy tones with repetitive use
- Gives gray hair softness and a hint of cool, silvery color
- Smells like grapes and makes your locks feel soft and healthy
Apply the product to damp hair and leave it on for 3 minutes to help process the yellow color back to a cooler shade. The pigments are very intense, so make sure to wear gloves. For best results, use it once a week. To get a lavender hue, wait longer before rinsing it. If you overdo it, the purple hint will fade after a few regular shampoos. Indulge in this sweet treat!
Bright Right: 2. L’ANZA Healing Colorcare Silver Brightening Shampoo
This sulfate-free purple pigmented shampoo has a thick consistency and a subtle pleasant scent. It works great for ash blonde, platinum, silver, gray, and highlighted hair. It’s bright right for you right now!
- Keeps blonde hair cool-toned and reduces yellowing
- Prevents white/gray hair from yellowing and brings it back to life
- Enhances silver hair and makes it sparkle
- Gives brightness to highlighted hair that tends to get brassy and yellow
- Protects hair color from fading and adds extraordinary shine
Apply this shampoo to damp hair and work into a rich lather. Leave it in for up to 3 minutes. Allowing it to sit for a prolonged period will give your hair a purple/blue hue. Using this product once a week is enough to prevent unwanted discoloration. Make your color bright right!
Sheer and Clear: 3. Maria Nila Sheer Silver Shampoo
This vegan silver shampoo doesn’t contain sulfates or any harmful chemicals. It isn’t as drying as other brightening shampoos tend to be. The product is vegan, cruelty-free, and is made in Sweden.
It works best for light blonde and gray hair. Shine sheer and clear!
- Eliminates the brassiness and leaves cool tones in blonde hair
- Restores softness and adds a beautiful shine to hair
- Provides UV protection to prevent color fading
- Mild and suitable for daily use
Magical and Mindful: 4. Davines Alchemic Shampoo – Silver
This silver toning shampoo is made to protect the color vibrancy of silver, platinum, and cool blonde hair.
- Prevents brassy tones in blonde hair and keeps it icy white
- Protects gray hair from yellowing and adds a healthy shine
- Maintains clarity of platinum blonde hair
- Enhances bright tones in highlighted hair
- Leaves hair smell amazing
This sulfate-free shampoo doesn’t dry out hair and can be used regularly, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Let your color radiate with magical and mindful vibes today!